Over the weekend the Mr and I ran out of butter. Since I’ve been on this green/organic/homemade kick I decided I would make my own instead of buying from the store! According to Bon Appetit it may be a waste of time, but I wanted to be able to call it my own.
I love the idea of making butter! You put one ingredient in and get two ingredients out!
Making homemade butter couldn’t be more simple!
- heavy whipping cream
- that’s it! No, really!
- Have fun with it and try adding the following:
- cinnamon and sugar
- chopped fresh herbs
- garlic and salt
- cumin and red pepper flakes
- Throw the heavy whipping cream in your standing mixer and let it go with the whisk attachment on high speed. (This may take awhile! Have patience!)
- Once the cream gets chunky and takes on a yellow tint, scoop out the curds with your (clean!) hands and squish them together to form a ball. (I tend to run my hands under cold water to keep the butter cool while I’m squishing it)
- Now you have butter AND buttermilk.
Bon Appetit says you can do this in a bowl of very cold water, to help remove all of the liquid but I didn’t and it came out fine. They also say homemade butter will go rancid in a week. Mine didn’t last that long 😉
Here’s a quick video I made of what the entire process looks like. The first time I did it, I truly doubted it would ever work – I was too impatient. But here’s the proof!
Next batch I’m going to do will have fresh herbs mixed in…or maybe garlic…or maybe honey…oh the possibilities!
Hillsborough Homesteading is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Fees earned by affiliate advertising support us in our homesteading adventure, at no cost to our readers.