Turkey tail mushrooms have been used for centuries as herbal allies. Here are all the health benefits of turkey tail mushrooms.
Oftentimes, when people hear about mushrooms, they think about either food or fungi. But did you know that there are types of mushrooms that contain medicinal properties?
These medicinal mushrooms, called turkey tail mushrooms, have been used for centuries to boost overall health and treat various kinds of health conditions.
If you’re looking for something that would benefit your health, this is a good read. In this post, I am going to share with you how impressive these turkey tail mushrooms are and how you can forage and use it.
Health Benefits of Turkey Tail Mushrooms
1. Contains antioxidants
Different factors can cause toxins to build up in the body. Sometimes, it is through the food that we eat or it could be through our lifestyle.
Toxins form into free radicals & can cause damage to our cells. If we cannot achieve the right balance, it would be difficult for our body to eradicate these free radicals completely and will put us at risk of developing serious health problems, like cancer.
Fortunately, turkey tail mushrooms have antioxidant properties that can combat free radicals!
When used as antioxidant, not only can it inhibit the growth and formation of free radicals, it can also reduce inflammation.
2. Possess powerful immune-boosting properties
Turkey tail mushrooms contain Polysaccharopeptide, which is a protein-bound polysaccharides that are known to boost immunity.
This property that is found in turkey tail mushrooms can stimulate certain cells to inhibit toxins and trigger an immune response.
It facilitates the strengthening of our immune system’s defenses against toxins and makes us immune to it.
Today, turkey tails mushrooms are being used in certain parts of the world, like Japan & China, to strengthen the immune system of cancer patients taking chemotherapy.
3. Enhance Gut Health
Our digestive system contains a lot of immune cells, so when turkey tail mushrooms are taken, it can not only trigger immune response in your gut area, but also reduce our risks for digestive problems.
Over the years, it’s been used to treat symptoms of diarrhea, low cholesterol level, weak immune system, and improper digestion.
4. Has antibacterial properties
Studies have shown that turkey tail mushrooms also have antibacterial properties that can inhibit the growth of disease-causing bacteria, such as Salmonella enterica and Staphylococcus aureus.
Using Turkey Tail Mushrooms
Now that you know the amazing health benefits that turkey tail mushrooms have, it’s time to learn how to forage it.
Turkey Tail Mushroom Tea
Having said that turkey tail mushrooms are a good source of antioxidant, a lot of people brew it to make a cup of tea!
It is an easy and economical way of boosting your immune system.
Sometimes, brewing turkey tail mushrooms can give a very strong flavor, so if you don’t like this, I suggest adding more water to your preparation.
A ratio of 1:5 would be ideal. If you want to add flavor, just add grated mint, dried elderberries, ginger, or turmeric into your preparation.
Most commonly, people make turkey tail mushrooms tea during the cold season.
Experts suggest you consume one to two 8oz glasses daily to fully maximize its benefits.
- Cut the turkey tail mushroom into the smallest pieces possible (some would grind it).
- Prepare a large pot of water, add the chopped mushrooms, then boil.
- Simmer for about 1 hour.
- Strain the mixture
- To add flavor to your tea, add lemon essential oil, then stir.
- Enjoy the drink!
Turkey Tail Mushrooms Double Extraction
When turkey tail mushrooms are ingested right away, without proper extraction, it would be difficult for the body to digest it in its natural form.
That is why foragers always suggest double extraction using alcohol (first extraction and hot water (second extraction).
Part 1: Alcohol extraction
- Gather your fresh turkey tail mushrooms and grind them to turn into a powdery form (very small pieces). Doing this provides thorough extraction. Then transfer the powder form into a jar.
- Fill the jar with vodka all the way to the top. Then label it.
- Cover the jar and place it inside a warm, dark, and secure place for a month. Do not forget to agitate the jar daily.
- After one month, open the jar then strain the preparation.
Part 2: Hot water extraction
- After straining, remove the leftover mushroom pieces that were soaked with alcohol then put them into a pot with water.
- Simmer for 2 hours to let the water evaporate.
- Turn off the heat, then let it cool.
- Strain the solids and discard them. Only save the water.
- Combine the water and alcohol extract with a ratio of 50% alcohol and 50% water.
To make sure that you have the right numbers, you can measure them first before boiling the water.
Serving size depends on the person’s size and tincture strength. Standard serving size is about 2 teaspoon taken twice or thrice daily.
Make sure to store in dark-colored containers and place in a secure location away from direct sunlight.
Turkey tail mushroom double extraction tincture has a 2-year shelf life.
3. Turkey Tail Mushrooms Smoothie Bowl
Since you can grind turkey tail mushrooms and turn them into a powdery form, you can now enjoy them in many different ways, such as making turkey tail mushrooms smoothie bowl.
- 2 to 3 frozen bananas
- 1 to 2 Tbsp of organic peanut butter
- 3 to 5 Tbsp of coconut cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of coconut, almond, hemp milk (add more or less to improve the mixability in the blender)
- A handful of coconut shreds
- 1 scoop of organic plant-based or grass-fed whey protein powder of your choice
- 1 tsp of Turkey Tail Mushroom powder
- 1 tsp ceylon cinnamon
- 2 to 3 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1/8 tsp ginger powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
Directions: Add all ingredients into the blender. Blend everything together until you achieve desired consistency. Once done, pour into a bowl and add any topping you like.
Foraging turkey tail mushrooms seems fun and delicious, don’t you think?
If you happen to see turkey tail mushrooms at the supermarket – in powder, flavored drink mix, or capsule form – make sure to do a thorough research first before purchasing as not all are created the same.
But if you are really serious about boosting your immunity and creating an active lifestyle, then these foraging tips would be of great help!