Radishes are super easy to grow anywhere – especially small areas and containers. And this Pickled Radishes recipe with canning instructions is the easiest and tastiest way to preserve them!
This pickled radish recipe is both sweet and sour, super easy, and preserves your radish harvest in the most delicious way!
How to Grow Radishes
Radishes are among one of the easiest crops to grow. Direct sow the seeds in a raised bed or container, thin them out a few weeks later, and then harvest them once they begin peeking up over the soil.
Literally couldn’t be easier!
Plus you get two harvests – the roots and greens are edible! I love any crop that gives you double the harvest for the same amount of work!
If you’d like to learn more, though, check out my entire post on How to Grow Radishes.
How to Pickle Radishes
Pickling is the simple art of preserving something in a vinegar or vinegar/sugar solution.
This pickled radish recipe is more sweet than sour. If I’m really craving something lip-puckering, I’ll reach for my sriracha pickled eggs or bread and butter pickles.
To make these pickled radishes, simply harvest your crop, wash the dirt off, cut off the greens (and eat them for lunch!) and slice the radishes into thin rounds.
Combine the pickling ingredients in a saucepan and warm up just enough for the sugar and salt to dissolve.
While the pickling liquid is heating, pack the radishes into mason jars – I usually can small amounts at a time – half pints or jelly jars.
Pour the pickling liquid over the radishes and process in a hot water bath. Voila!
If you’d like to learn more about how to can the right way, check out my friend Melissa’s Home Canning with Confidence course!
How to Eat Pickled Radishes
My favorite way to eat these pickled radishes is over a salad, or egg salad, or even by themselves on a charcuterie board. And of course you can add them to tacos, burgers, and sandwiches.
And of course, because nothing goes to waste on the homestead, I reserve the pickling liquid, mix it with some mayonnaise and have a delicious salad dressing or dip for vegetables!
- 1/2 lb radishes (stem and roots removed, and cut until 1/8 inch slices)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper
1. Thoroughly wash radishes, cut tips and stems off and slice thinly.
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar and salt dissolve.
3. Layer sliced radishes into sterilized canning jars and pour still warm pickling liquid over top.
4. Wipe the rim and affix the lids and rings.
5. Process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes (for both pints and half-pints).